Did you know?
- America has the lowest rate of voter participation of any of the world’s democracies.
- 55% of youth agree that “the schools do not do a very good job of giving young people the information needed to vote.” *
- The vast majority distrust politics and believe that government is “run by a few big interests looking out for themselves, not for the benefit of all.” *
- Only 21% of young people say that they speak with their parents about politics or current events and many youths are learning not to vote from their parents. *
- * According to the 1999 New Millennium Report,
issued by the National Association of Secretaries of State
If the above trends continue, most of these youth will not go to the polls and miss the opportunity to have their voices heard when they become adults.